Indiana University East plans to host an in-person Commencement Ceremony on Friday, May 14. The event will be held outdoor on the IU East campus and in accordance with COVID-19 protocols. Although Commencement attendance will be limited to graduates only, family and friends may join the celebration via live stream.
Indiana University President Michael A. McRobbie informed graduates of the plans for the Commencement Ceremony in an email today.
IU East Chancellor Kathy Girten said the campus is working with Indiana University, the IU Medical Response Team and Wayne County Health Department to plan for the Commencement Ceremony.
“Our 2020 and 2021 graduates have faced unprecedented obstacles during the COVID-10 pandemic, and IU East is committed to working diligently with IU and the health department to provide a safe and healthy event to recognize the hard work and perseverance of our graduates to earn their degrees,” Girten said.
IU East and IU is continually monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic, and all plans are subject to change based on the public health outlook in each community. The university is committed to keeping its campuses safe, and will communicate directly with graduates if plans change.
Graduates who completed their degree in December 2019, 2020, and during the spring and summer 2021 semesters are invited to attend the Commencement Ceremony.
“The Commencement Ceremony is a special event steeped in tradition to celebrate our graduates and their accomplishments,” said Terry Wiesehan, director of Alumni Affairs at IU East. “We are excited to recognize our graduates and welcome the Class of 2021 to the alumni family.”
In order to attend the ceremony, graduates must indicate their interest in attending commencement at http://go.iu.edu/grad2021 and reserve a spot to attend ahead of time. IU East will determine the best outdoor space to provide ample space for graduates to physically distance, and a time for the event, based on the number of reservations. Participating graduates will be required to undergo specific COVID-19 testing.
Graduates who cannot attend the Commencement Ceremony will be recognized and can join the celebrations virtually through IU East’s social media @iueast or by using the hashtags #iueast, #iuegrad20 and #IUEgrad21.
Graduates planning to attend the Commencement Ceremony should be aware of the following:
- The Commencement Ceremony will celebrate the accomplishments of December 2019, May 2020, August 2020, and all May and August 2021 graduates.
- Graduates planning to attend the ceremony must reserve a spot to attend ahead of time, and indicate their interest in attending. Visit http://go.iu.edu/grad2021.
- Graduates will be required to undergo COVID-19 testing in order to attend.
- All IU public safety protocols, including wearing a mask and physically distancing, must be followed during commencement
- Commencement Ceremony details for time, location, and live stream will be announced at a later time.
- Information for cap and gown rental is available for the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021 at iue.edu/commencement.
For updates and information, visit iue.edu/commencement.