The annual Whitewater Valley Art Competition awards reception was held November 10 at Indiana University East. Originating in 1978 with open judging, the event has hosted prestigious artists and art experts of national acclaim for the jurying.
Of the 89 entered works, 43 were selected by Juror Nancy Princenthal, a New York-based critic and former senior editor of Art in America. Princenthal determined the award winners.
The exhibit will be on display in The Tom Thomas Gallery and Meijer Artway, located in Whitewater Hall, now through December 9. The competition accepts entries from artists throughout a 300-mile radius around Richmond.
For more information on the exhibit, call Ed Thornburg, curator, at (765) 973-8605.
Top Eight Entrants
First Place/Best of Show ($1,000)
- Megan Caldwell Chandler, Carmel, Ind. – “Miss/Ms./Mrs.,” Mixed Media on Birch Panel
Second Place ($500 each)
- Sara Fleenor, Eaton, Ohio – “White Castle,” Oil on Panel
- David Hannon, Eaton, Ohio – “Safety in Numbers,” Oil on Canvas
- Andrew Reichter, Richmond, Ind. – “Farm Art – Tortoise,” Metal, found Objects, Acrylic, and Maker Assemblage
Third Place ($250 each)
- Walt Bistline, Richmond, Ind. – “Hayes Arboretum #111,” Photography
- Tom Brown, Greenwood, Ind. – “Curly Circles,” Colored Pencil
- Suga Y. Matsui, Richmond, Ind. – “Metro 1 & 2,” Photography / Giclée Prints
- Erin McAtee, Muncie, Ind. – “The Trip to Poland I Prayed Would Happen,” Etching
Honorable Mention ($150 each)
- Scott Anderson Hartford City, Ind. – “The Uninvited (Arrival Series),” Acrylic and Mixed Media
- Sterling Gregory, Union City, Ind. – “Transitional Memory Imprint Mask,” Pen and Ink
- Al Harden, Cincinnati, Ohio – “Sisters,” Digital Photography
- David B. Johnson, Muncie, Ind. – “Holier Than Thou,” Chine Colle Etching Accordion Book
- Benny Kenworthy, Richmond, Ind. – “Untitled (Blue),” Acrylic on Canvas
- Kaitlin Morgan, Richmond, Ind. – “Megan,” Photography
- Travis Poling, Richmond, Ind. – “Zion Church,” Photography
- Kaly Reichter, Richmond, Ind. – “The New Economy,” Digital Photography
- Larry Sturgis, Cambridge City, Ind. – “Chasing Light – Nebula,” Photography
- Joe Thompson, Richmond, Ind. – “Artist’s Briefcase,” Sculpture