B. A. in Natural Science and Mathematics, Biology Concentration (120 credit hours)
The Bachelor of Arts in Natural Science and Mathematics is designed for students who are interested in the flexibility and diversity of a liberal arts degree and the opportunity to pursue a more extensive study in natural science and mathematics. This flexible degree allows you a wide range of options, including the opportunity to develop one or more minors.
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Please note: The Quantitative Reasoning and Scientific Ways of Knowing General Education Requirements will be satisfied by this degree’s requirements. Please confirm these requirements with your advisor.
Additional Requirements (17-19 cr)
First-Year Seminar (0-2 cr)
- UCOL-U 101 First Year Seminar or
- HON-H 100 Freshman Honors Seminar
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with no more than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
Information Literacy (1-3 cr)
Choose 1 from:
World Languages & Cultures Requirement (0-14 cr)
This requirement may be met in one of the following ways:
- Completing Intermediate II (fourth semester) of a non-English language
- Completing a 300-400 level course in a non-English language, or an approved study abroad course that meets this language requirement
- Receiving credit for non-English language courses via placement exam for Intermediate II (fourth semester).
Biology Concentration (30 cr)
Please note: BIOL-L 102 is the required prerequisite for all of the following courses
From the following three groups, choose 2 courses from each of 2 groups, and 1 course from the remaining group.
Group 1: Evolution & Diversity
- BIOL-B 301 Introduction to the Plant Kingdom (4)
- BIOL-L 318 Evolution (3)
- BIOL-Z 301 Introduction to the Animal Kingdom (4)
Group 2: Cellular & Molecular
- BIOL-L 211 / BIOL-L 213 Molecular Biology w/ Lab (4)
- BIOL-L 314 Genetics (4)
- BIOL-L 315 Cell Biology (4)
- BIOL-L 321 Principles of Immunology (3)
- BIOL-M 310 / BIOL-M 315 Microbiology w/ Lab (5)
Group 3: Ecological & Environmental
Capstone (0-1 cr)
BIOL-L 452 Capstone in Biology (1)
Choose additional Biology courses at the 200+ level to be combined with the above concentration to total 30 credit hours. These may include 6 credits of relevant non-biological sciences (chemistry, geology, physics, astronomy, and math).