Why IU East Online? Affordable Indiana University degree, courses flexible to your schedule, dedicated credit transfer counselors, plus, IU East pioneered online education at IU!
The online Master of Arts in English provides broad training in the primary areas of English studies.
As a student in the program, you explore the core principles of writing and literature pedagogy, the linguistic structure and history of English literature, and a wide variety of reading strategies associated with genre and close reading. You gain skills and knowledge to conduct archival research, develop analytical and presentation skills through the focused study of literature in a seminar format, and acquire an appreciation of current trends in the field of digital humanities.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- Reading strategies and literary practices, such as close reading, analysis of style, form and genre, and rhetorical practices
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction, including the identification and evaluation of sources, use of evidence, generation of ideas, and the development and organization of argument
- Fostering discussion and developing presentation skills in a seminar setting
- Developing archival research skills and facility with electronic resources
- Developments, trends, and frontiers in the digital humanities
The MA in English has a two-part "stackable" structure.
- You first complete an online, 18-20 credit hour graduate certificate in literature, composition studies, or language and literature. The certificate allows you to acquire specialized knowledge.
- After you successfully complete one of the certificates, you take an additional 16 credits of master's-level coursework that extends the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
This program is part of the School of Humanities & Social Sciences.
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.