Online Graduate Certificate in Chemistry
As a student in the IU Online Graduate Certificate in Chemistry, you analyze and explore the chemical processes and principles of organic and inorganic substances. You develop an understanding of multiple subdisciplines of chemistry, and you adopt a methodological approach to problem solving. When you complete the certificate, you will be able to break down chemical concepts and processes, design experiments and assignments to teach chemical concepts, and critically analyze chemistry-related press releases and news.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Inorganic chemistry
- Organic synthesis
- Organic spectroscopy
- Physical chemistry
- Environmental chemistry
- Nuclear chemistry
Of Special Interest for Dual-Credit and Community College Instructors Needing to Meet HLC Standards
The Graduate Certificate in Chemistry is ideal for those who want to teach dual-credit courses and who need to meet Higher Learning Commission dual-credit qualification standards. These standards require teachers wanting to teach dual-credit courses in chemistry to hold either a master's degree in chemistry or a master's degree in another discipline (such as education), plus at least 18 credit hours of discipline-specific graduate coursework.
- If you hold a master's degree in a discipline other than chemistry, you can meet HLC standards by completing the 18 credit hour Graduate Certificate in Chemistry.
- If you plan to pursue the IU Online MAT in Chemistry, you may apply the 18 credit hours from the Graduate Certificate in Chemistry toward the master's degree.
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Chemistry, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core course (3 credit hours)
- Electives (15 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
|Sample courses for the Graduate Certificate in Chemistry include the following:|
|CHEM-T 510 Inorganic Chemistry||3 Credits|
|CHEM-T 530 Organic Spectroscopy||3 Credits|
|CHEM-T 540 Physical Chemistry||3 Credits|
|CHEM-T 550 Introductory Biochemistry||3 Credits|
|CHEM-T 560 Environmental Chemistry||3 Credits|
|CHEM-T 570 Nuclear Chemistry||3 Credits|
|CHEM-T 590 Chemistry Capstone||3 Credits|
- In-state: $320 per credit hour
- Out of State: $450 per credit hour
Contact InformationIndiana University East
Office of Admissions
Whitewater Hall 116
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, IN 47374-1289
Phone: 765-973-8208 or toll free 800-959-EAST
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.