Online Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies
The IU Online Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies provides graduate-level instruction in communication strategies, practices, and techniques. It teaches practical communication skills needed in professional, academic, and personal contexts, such as presenting information, arguing a position, promoting a cause, presenting information via social media, designing targeted messages, and managing relations and conflicts.
As a student in the program, you develop innovative strategies for teaching communication, employ effective and ethical communication practices, and apply critical perspectives to production and consumption of media messages.
Of Special Interest for Dual-Credit and Community College Instructors Needing to Meet HLC Standards
The Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies is ideal for those who want to teach dual-credit courses and who need to meet Higher Learning Commission dual-credit qualification standards. These standards require teachers wanting to teach dual-credit courses to hold either a master's degree in their area of instruction or a master's degree in another discipline (such as education), plus at least 18 credit hours of discipline-specific graduate coursework.
- If you hold a master's degree in another discipline, you can meet HLC standards by completing the 18 credit hour Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies.
- If you plan to pursue the IU Online MA in English, you may apply the 18 credit hours from the Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies toward the master's degree.
Your IU Online Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- Communication dual-credit teacher (high school)
- Communication instructor (community college)
- Communication professional in an organization or institution
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Communication pedagogy course (3 cr. hours)
- Communication in context courses (9 cr. hours)
- Communication in media course (3 cr. hours)
- Communication elective course (3 cr. hours)
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
- A bachelor's degree
- 3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
To apply to this program:
Complete an online application that includes:
- Official transcripts
- 250-word statement that briefly describes your background and goals for entering this degree program
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
|ALL core courses are listed here. You will select from among these courses to fulfill degree requirements.||Credits|
|CMCL-C 502 or SPCH-S500 Intro to Communication Theory||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 545 Communication Pedagogy||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 594 Communication and Conflict Management in Organizations||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 606 Media Criticism||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 610 Identity and Difference||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 510 Health Provider-Consumer Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 528 Group Communication and Organizations||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 544 Advanced Relational Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 582 Advanced Intercultural Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 592 or CMCL-C 592 Advanced Health Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 593 Family Communication||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 500 Intro to Grad Studies and Research||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 627 Studies in Cross-Cultural Communication||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 633 Studies in Interpersonal Communication||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 640 Studies in Organizational Communication||3 Credits|
- In-state: $320 per credit hour
- Out of State: $450 per credit hour
Contact InformationIndiana University East
Office of Admissions
Whitewater Hall 116
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, IN 47374-1289
Phone: 765-973-8208 or toll free 800-959-EAST
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.