James O. Barbre III, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Education
Director of Graduate Programs in Education
Tom Raper Hall 346
School of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK – May 2006
- Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK—May 1998
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK—December 1995
Current Teaching Interests
The impact of poverty in education. Foundations of education.
Current Research Interests & Activities
Comparative education; nationalism and the manner in which it influences education and communication; transition from secondary schooling to post-secondary schooling; qualitative research applications within educational and other contexts; the use of film to enhance the context and experience of reflection; documentary film making within the public school context
Selected Conference Presentations
- Barbre, J. (2013) The Use of Biographical Writing in Diversity-based Classroom Education. International Society for Educational Biography Annual Conference. San Antonio, TX.
- Barbre, J. (2012) Redefining History Education as a Vehicle for Social Justice. National Association for Multicultural Education Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA
- Barbre, J. (2012) The Need and Role of Collective Biography in Educational Re-Structuring. International Society for Educational Biography Annual Conference. St. Louis, MO.
- Barbre, J. (2012) High Definition Praxis: Utilizing Film as a Means to Improve Teaching. Faculty Research Support Fund Symposium Presentation. Indiana University East.
- Battraw, J.; Scane, M.; Barbre, J. (2011) An Instrument to Assess Diversity Understandings. American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Annual Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Barbre, J. (2011) When The Teacher Won't Let You Interrupt. Paper presented at International Society for Education Biography Annual Conference. San Antonio, TX.
- Barbre, J., Buckner, B. (2013) Utilizing action research during student teaching: Should every teacher preparation program be doing this? SAGE Open Publications. doi: 10.1177/2158244013482468.
- Barbre, J. (Spring, 2013) A Middle School Drum Ensemble: An unlikely experience in classroom democracy. Ethnography and Education, 8(1) 77-88.
- Barbre, J. (June, 2012) A power transitions perspective on economic and educational equity: An unfolding epilogue of the Arab spring? International Journal of Education, 4(1).
- Barbre, J. (April, 2012) History texts: A potential vehicle for social justice. International Journal of Social Sciences and Education, 2(3).
Selected Previous Employment Positions
- Associate Professor-Director of Graduate Studies
Indiana University East, Richmond, IN (August 2008 to Present)
School of Education
- Visiting Assistant Professor
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK (August 2007 to May 2008)
College of Education-School of Educational Studies
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK (August 2001 to May 2007)
- Public School Teacher (6th/7th grade)
Stillwater Middle School, Stillwater, OK (August 1997 to May 2007)
- Comparative and International Education Society
- International Society of Educational Biography
Selected Service Activities
- IU East Online Education Advisory Committee (2014-Present)
- Campus Strategic Planning Committee (2013-2015)
- Academic Policies Implementation Committee (2014-2015)
- Faculty Senate President, Indiana University East (2013-2015)