Get ready for your future

As you near the end of your IU East career, there are a few things you’ll need to know about graduation and beyond.

First, graduation is different than the ceremony where you wear your cap & gown and celebrate your graduation from IU East; that's called Commencement. Graduation is simply the process where you submit your application for graduation, we confirm that you're eligible for your degree, and your degree is conferred; then you're an official college graduate!

Second, graduation occurs four times per year, depending on the semester you complete your degree requirements and your on-time application.

Complete degree requirements in:Graduate in:
Summer 1end of June
Summer 2August

Third, find out if you're eligible to graduate with academic distinction, and how to get permission to graduate with more than one IU degree (for double majors or students completing a second degree after receiving their first one).

You must apply to graduate

All degree candidates must apply to graduate. Submitting a graduation application means:

  • Your degree will be awarded.
  • You will receive a diploma.
  • You will receive important Commencement information.
  • Your name will appear in the Commencement program.

Degrees will not be awarded without a graduation application on file with your school. Contact your degree auditor with questions.

If you applied to graduate for a previous date, but did not graduate, you must reapply for a future term.

Graduation Applications

You can apply for graduation online (a paper application can be picked up in the Registrar's office and physically dropped off to your degree auditor, if preferred). You can also contact your degree auditor directly with any questions.

Apply for graduation with a bachelor's degree or undergraduate certificate

Apply for graduation with a master's degree or graduate certificate

Degree auditors

Students are responsible for submitting their application for graduation to the appropriate auditor to be processed by the deadlines shown above.

Auditors by school/program
School/programDegree auditor
General StudiesSamantha Allen 
B.S. in NursingAmanda Carmack 
R.N. to B.S.NCarla Ballenger 
B.S. in Applied Health ScienceKaren Clark 
Schools of Business & Economics (BUSE) and Informatics (INFO),
School of Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS), and School of Natural Science & Mathematics (NSM)
Samantha Allen 
School of Education (EDUC)Carla Bowen 
School of Social Work (SWK)Ed Fitzgerald 

Auditors by school/program
School/programDegree auditor
M.A. in English and Online English Graduate Certificates (Composition Studies, Literature, and Language and Literature)Jean Harper 
M.A. in Mental Health CounselingBeth Trammell
M.A. in Teaching, MathematicsNayeong Kong
M.S. in Criminal Justice and Public SafetyMengie Parker
M.S. in ManagementDarla Lane

M.S. in NursingPaula Baumann 
Online Graduate Certificate and MAT in MathematicsNayeong Kong
Online Graduate Certificate in History, MAT in History and MA in HistoryChristine Nemcik 
Online Graduate Certificate in Political Science, MAT in Political Science and MA in Political ScienceScott Lee
MSEd, Educational Technology for LearningCarla Bowen 
MAT in FrenchJulien Simon
Graduate Certificate in SpanishFelix Burgos
Online Graduate Certificate in Biology and MAT in BiologyParul Khurana
Online Graduate Certificate in Chemistry, and MAT in ChemistryYu Kay Law
Online Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies and online Master of Liberal StudiesNatalia Rybas
School of Education (EDUC)Carla Bowen 
School of Social Work (SWK)Ed Fitzgerald 

When is it official?

You are officially a college graduate on your "conferral date", or the date that your degree is "conferred" or officially awarded to you.

After your final grades have been posted and it's confirmed that all of your degree requirements have been fulfilled and verified, you will receive an email at your IU email address informing you:

  • of your accomplishment,
  • of your conferral date,
  • and when to expect your diploma.

Your conferral date will appear on your diploma and transcript.

Graduating with more than one degree?

If you're a double major and/or have met the degree requirements to graduate with a second Bachelor's degree, congratulations!

We'll need to take special steps to verify that you've met all the necessary requirements for both degrees. Get this process started by applying for permission to graduate with an additional degree:

  1. Complete the Permission to Apply for a Second Degree form before the graduation application deadline for the semester you expect to complete your degree requirements (learn more about deadlines and graduation dates at the top of this page).
  2. Return it in-person, by mail, or by email to the Office of the Registrar.

You'll be notified of your approval (or issues with your request) by your degree auditor.