Registrar & Student Records

Graduation Information

Students earning a degree from IU East must submit an Application for Graduation.  Graduation-related questions may be directed to your degree auditor (see list below) or you may refer to our FAQ.

IU East conducts one commencement exercise per year (conclusion of spring semester). Students may participate in commencement if they graduated the previous December, graduated in May of the current year, or are candidates to graduate during the upcoming summer (June or August) -- see application deadline dates below.

Applications for Graduation

Application Deadline Graduation Semester
November 1 Spring Semester - May graduates
November 1 Summer One - June graduates
November 1 Summer Two - August graduates
April 15 Fall Semester - December graduates


IU East
School of…

Applications for Bachelors Degree

Applications for Masters Degree

Applications for Undergraduate Certificate

Applications for Graduate

Business and Economics (BUSE)

BUSE Bachelors

BUSE Masters

BUSE Undergrad Certificate


EDUC Bachelors

EDUC Masters

EDUC Grad Certificate

Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS)

HSS Bachelors

HSS Masters

HSS Undergrad Certificate

HSS Grad Certificate

Natural Science & Mathematics (NSM)

NSM Bachelors

NSM Masters

NSM Undergrad Certificate

NSM Grad Certificate

Nursing and
Health Sciences (NURS)

Applied Hlth Sci Bachelors

NURS Masters

BSN Bachelors

RN-BSN Bachelors

Social Work (SWK)

SWK Bachelors

SWK Masters

SWK Undergrad Certificate


Top of Page

Degree Auditors

Students are responsible for submitting their application for graduation to the appropriate auditor to be processed by the deadlines shown above.

School Degree Auditor Office
Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS) Katie Chaney
TR 115
Bachelor of General Studies
   Humanities and Fine Arts or
   Behavioral and Social Sciences
Katie Chaney
TR 115
Master of Arts in English Jean Harper
WZ 267
Graduate Certificate
in Composition Studies
Jean Harper
WZ 267
Business & Economics (BUSE)
Informatics (INFO)
Darla Lane
HY 255P
Education (EDUC) Carla Bowen (UGRD Students)

Jay Barbre (GRAD Students)
TR 350

TR 360
Natural Science & Mathematics (NSM) Teresa Price
WZ 263
Bachelor of General Studies
   Science and Mathematics
Teresa Price
WZ 263
Nursing (NURS)

Amanda Carmack (Traditional BSN)

Julie Horn (RN to BSN)

Karen Clark (Health Sciences)

Paula Baumann (MSN)

HY 214


HY 235


HY 269


HY 209

Social Work (SWK) Ed Fitzgerald
TR 152

Top of Page

Graduating with Academic Distinction

To graduate with academic distinction, baccalaureate candidates must (1) rank within the highest 10% of the graduating class, (2) have completed a minimum of 60 hours at Indiana University, and (3) must meet the cumulative GPA requirements outlined below.

Criteria for Academic Honors
HonorsRequired Cumulative GPA
Distinction3.70 - 3.79
High Distinction3.80 - 3.89
Highest Distinction3.90 - 4.00

Candidates who are awarded honors in general scholarship are distinguished by cream and crimson fourrageres, which are looped cords worn from the left shoulder during the commencement exercise.

Top of Page

Honors Cords (fourrageres)

Fourrageres with cream and crimson cords indicate "highest distinction;" those with all cream cords indicate "high distinction;" and those with all crimson cords indicate "distinction." Honors are awarded by vote of the various faculties, and the fourrageres are provided by the university. The appropriate recognition is recorded on the individual's diploma as a permanent testimonial of achievement.

Top of Page

Graduating with a Second Degree

IU East Policy on Awarding Second Degrees (Faculty Senate February 27, 1987, amended 5/5/98, 4/27/10)

The Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs may admit the holder of, or candidate for, a baccalaureate degree candidacy for a second baccalaureate degree. Students applying for another degree must also meet any second degree requirements of the School in which they are candidates.  The second degree may be awarded either simultaneously with the first degree, or may be awarded at a later time. Four options include:

  1. Second degree awarded simultaneously with first degree: When such permission is granted, the candidate who simultaneously completes two baccalaureate degrees must complete all the requirements of each degree.

  2. Second degree awarded to a continuing student: When such permission is granted, the candidate who, after receiving a first baccalaureate degree, remains continuously enrolled at IU East must complete all the requirements of the second degree.

  3. Second degree awarded to a returning IU East alum: When such permission is granted, the candidate who has completed the first baccalaureate degree at IU East, and then returns at a later time, must earn a minimum of 30 additional credit hours from IU East and must complete all the requirements of the second degree.

  4. Second degree awarded to a student who earned first degree from another IU campus: When such permission is granted, the candidate must earn a minimum of 30 additional hours in residency for each additional baccalaureate degree, beyond the previous degree’s requirements.

Approval for the applicability of courses taken rests with the School or program awarding the degree.

Top of Page


Diplomas are not distributed at the commencement exercise. Instead, graduates will be presented a crimson-colored IU diploma cover. Actual diplomas should be available approximately 4-6 weeks after students have been certified for graduation. Graduates will receive an email (to their IU email account) from the Office of the Registrar informing them that diplomas (a) have arrived; and (b) have been mailed to the address they provided. PLEASE NOTE: It is Indiana University policy to withhold transcripts and diplomas from students who have a financial encumbrance with the University. In other words, to receive your diploma, all financial obligations to the University must be clear.

Duplicate Diploma Request

The Indiana University East - Office of the Registrar will process duplicate/replacement diploma requests only for degrees actually awarded by East campus (Richmond, IN). All other IU graduates should contact the Office of the Registrar at the Indiana University campus that awarded your degree for their procedures and cost of ordering a duplicate diploma.

Your name will appear on the diploma in the same format as it is stored in the Office of the Registrar records. Students whose names require editing or have been legally changed should file a “Request for Change of Name."  Legal documentation, such as a copy of a social security card, driver’s license, marriage certificate, or official court document, must be provided to support the name change.

Duplicate / Replacement Diploma Request Form  for IU “EAST” Graduates

Graduation Statistics

IU East Graduation Statistics 1988 through August 2018

Top of Page