Registrar & Student Records

IU East Grades and Grading Policies

Faculty have the responsibility of evaluating student academic performance and assigning a grade for each course. They select grades from the list below and have the discretion of using or not using plus-and-minus grades. The Registrar then uses those grades to compute a semester, program, and cumulative grade point average (GPA).

GPA - Online Calculator

Grading System Used

Standard Letter Grading - used in GPA calculation
Grade Points
A+ 4.0 (highest passing grade)
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7 (lowest passing grade)
F 0.0 (failing grade)
FN 0.0 (failing grade for "stopped attending")
FNN 0.0 (failing grade for "never attended")
Passing Grades - not used in GPA Calculation
Grade Description
P Pass
S Satisfactory
Non Standard Grading - not used in GPA Calculation
Grade Description
I Incomplete
R Deferred Grade (For courses which may not be completed in one term)
NC Course taken on an Audit basis (No Credit)
NR Grade not yet submitted by the instructor. After instructor submittal, the true grade will replace the NR.
Withdrew from Course - not used in GPA Calculation
Grade Description
W Withdrew after the first week of classes. Grade will appear on transcript
WX Withdrew through the first week of class. Grade will not appear on transcript
WZ Changed sections of the same course. Grade will not appear on transcript

Top of Page

Final Grades

Viewing Final Grades (Students)

Indiana University East does not mail grades at the end of each term. Students who wish to view their grades may do so online via One.IU.

  1. Log in to One.IU (
  2. Search on "grades"
  3. Click the "Grades" icon
  4. Select a term, then click "continue"

Top of Page

Entering Final Grades (Faculty)

How to "enter final grades in SIS via One.IU."

How to "enter final grades in SIS via Canvas."

Changing Final Grades (Faculty)

Once final grades have been posted, grade changes are made via "eGrade Change" in One.IU

FN, FNN and F Grading

In compliance with University Faculty Council Policy (FN Non-Attendance, March 1999), faculty members are required to differentiate students who fail a class because they quit attending from those who failed the class on merit.

FN (Failed for Non-attendance)

The failing grade of FN should be given to students who initially attended class but, at some point during the term, stopped attending and that was the basis for their failure. If you enter a grade of FN, a last date of attendance must also be entered into the Last Date Attend field. Give your best date for when the student either last attended or participated in the course. This may be the last quiz or assignment that was turned in or, if you take attendance, a more exact date.

The system will not let you enter a date in this field that is not within the term begin and term end dates. Please note that "spotty attendance" does not justify the use of the FN grade. In order to use the FN grade, there should be a clearly defined point in the term in which the student stopped attending. The grade of FN will be treated on the transcript in the same way we handle the grade of F. The student will not see the FN. Should you award an FN grade, please record the date you provided on the roster in your own records, such as your grade book. Use of the grade will provide documentation required by the auditors to comply with federal financial aid regulations.

Top of Page

FNN (Failed for Never Attending)

If the student never attended the class, enter a grade of FNN. It is not necessary to enter a Last Date of Attendance with the FNN grade. The grade of FNN will be treated on the transcript in the same way we handle the grade of F. The student will not see the FNN.

F (Failed for Not Meeting Academic Standard)

You should, of course, still award an F to any student whom you have determined has "earned" it, whether as a result of poor academic performance or spotty attendance.

Top of Page

"I" Grade Policy (Incompletes)

The grade of "I" (incomplete) may be given to a student whose work in a course is satisfactory except that some terminal aspect of the course (i.e., final exam, final paper, final project, etc...) has not been completed. The grade of "I" will only be given if the instructor has sufficient reason to believe that failure to complete the requirements of the course was beyond the student's control and that it would be unjust to hold the student to the time limits normally fixed for completion of the required work. "I" Grade Authorization Form (faculty use only).

By assigning an Incomplete the instructor implicitly authorizes and requires the "I" grade to be automatically changed to an "F" at the end of the authorized time period if the instructor does not otherwise act to remove or extend the "I." Both the student and the instructor in whose course the student received the Incomplete will be notified of this change of grade. A student may not enroll in a course in which the grade of record is an Incomplete.

Generally, the time allowed for the removal of an Incomplete is one calendar year from the date of its recording. It may however be less if specified by the instructor.

Top of Page

Pass/Fail Option

The option that permits students to designate courses to be taken for either a Pass (P) or Fail (F) grade is available to all undergraduate students in good standing (not on probation) for a maximum of 1 elective course in a semester, with a maximum of 2 per year (fall semester to fall semester) and no more than 8 to apply towards graduation. The course selected for P/F must be an elective; it may not be used to satisfy institutional requirements or degree programs. Some schools may further limit the number of courses that can be taken Pass/Fail, and may otherwise restrict the use of the Pass/Fail option. Students should consult with the academic advisor and school dean prior to submitting the P/F option request. Students who change their major will need to get permission of their school dean to count P/F classes that are part of their degree requirement.

Students may use a Pass/Fail option to FX a grade received in a previously taken class.

Students must file a P/F option request within the first three weeks of a regular semester or the first two weeks of a 6-week summer session. The school dean is responsible for determining the elective nature of the course and signing the request form. Once approved, the P/F Option request form is forwarded to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Instructors will not be notified of those students registering for the P/F option. A final letter grade will be submitted by the instructor and any grade other than an F, FN, or FNN will be converted to P. A grade of P is not counted in computing grade point averages; however, a grade of F is included in that average.

Students taking courses on the IU East campus, but completing their degree program on another IU campus or on the Purdue University campus, should adhere to the P/F policy and transfer credit policy of that campus.

A grade of P cannot be changed subsequently to a grade of A, B, C, or D.

Note: This policy does not affect existing classes offered for Pass/Fail, nor do those classes count in the total P/F classes allowed.

Revised: Faculty Senate 4/7/09; 4/3/12

Top of Page

Auditing a Course

Courses may be taken on an official "audit" basis. No credit will be given for the course; the audited course will be indicated on the student's transcript with a grade of NC. The student must discuss course work expectations with the instructor and it is up to the instructor to approve or not approve the student's request to audit the course.

  • New students must apply for admission to the University by submitting the application for admission and the $35 application fee. High school and college transcripts are required if the student intends to pursue a degree program.
  • Students may register to audit a course during any of the regular registration periods.
  • Courses taken for audit do not apply toward any academic degree and do not count as part of a student's full-time or part-time course load for purposes of financial aid or for loan deferments.
  • Tuition for an audited course is the same as that as for a credit course.
  • Students considering this option should discuss it carefully with their academic advisor to see if this the best choice or if another grading option, such as pass/fail, may be more appropriate.
  • Schools, in some cases, do not allow students to register for a class for credit after taking it on an audit basis. Consult with your advisor prior to making the decision to audit a course.
  • Course work transcripted as "NC" may not subsequently be changed to credit. Any change of from audit-to-credit, or vice-a-versa, must be completed during the first week of classes during the Fall or Spring terms, or prior to the second class meeting during a Summer session. The signature of the instructor is required for this change of enrollment.
  • Any school or department has the option to exclude auditors from a particular course or remove auditors during the first week of the semester in order to permit credit seeking students to enroll. In such cases, the auditor will receive a 100% refund of fees.
  • The instructor or school dean (or designated representative) must grant permission allowing a student to audit a class.

Credit by Examination

Course credit can be awarded as the result of a departmental examination.  If this examination is administered during a student's first or second consecutive semester of matriculation, there is no charge.  If this examinations is administered to a first semester transfer student, there is a $21.00 per credit hour charge.  All other students will pay the standard per semester fee at the appropriate resident or nonresident rate.

Top of Page

Grade Appeal Policy ~ Instructions to File an Appeal

Student Appeal Process

Most course grade appeals can be resolved informally between instructor and student; however, a formal appeal can be initiated through the following grade appeals process.  Students may request face-to-face meetings at any time during this process. Decisions at any level are separate and apart from an earlier decision. Special consideration can be given if severe circumstances prohibit the student from following the time frames listed below (e.g. military deployment or catastrophic illness).

Step One: Appeal to Instructor

  • Initiate within 10 business days after course grade is posted.
  • Contact Instructor in writing to attempt to resolve the matter amicably.
  • The appeal may proceed to Step Two if an amicable resolution could not be reached or the instructor does not respond within 10 business days of student’s initial contact.

Step Two: Appeal to Dean of School

  • Initiate within 10 business days upon conclusion of Step One.
  • Contact Dean in writing, including the following:
    • Student’s name
    • Student’s ID number
    • Student’s correct mailing address
    • Name of course and number
    • Full name of instructor
    • The assigned grade
    • The date “Appeal to Instructor” was initiated and its result.
    • Course syllabus
    • An argument, which demonstrates a valid reason that the instructor would be obligated to assign a better grade, which should include an analysis of relevant evidence.
      • Relevant evidence may include: final exam, assignment instructions, and/or student’s electronic gradebook, and/or copies of previous communications with instructor, and/or witness testimony
  • The Dean may appoint a faculty designee of the school to review the appeal.
  • The Dean or designee may require additional documentation.

Step Three: Appeal to Admissions & Academic Affairs Committee (AAA)

  • Initiate within 10 business days upon conclusion of Step Two.
  • Prepare formal letter addressed to:

Admissions & Academic Affairs Committee
Office of Academic Affairs
Indiana University East
2325 Chester Blvd., Richmond, IN 47374

  • The letter should contain the following:
    • Student’s name
    • Student’s ID number
    • Student’s correct mailing address
    • Name of course and number
    • Full name of instructor
    • The assigned grade
    • The date “Appeal to Instructor” was initiated and result
    • The date “Appeal to Dean of School” was initiated and result
    • Course syllabus
    • An argument, which demonstrates a valid reason that the Dean’s decision should be reviewed, which should include an analysis of relevant evidence.
      • Relevant evidence may include: final exam, assignment instructions, and/or student’s electronic gradebook, and/or copies of previous communications with instructor and/or Dean, and/or witness testimony.
  • AAA may require additional documentation.
  • The decision of AAA will be final.

Faculty Appeal Procedure:

Instructor/Dean (or designee)

  • Responds to student’s appeal within 10 business days of date of student contact.
  • Gives consideration for equitable treatment of all students within the course.
  • May contact anyone relevant to this process or request additional documentation.
  • Takes appropriate action.
  • Documents the appeal decision.
  • Is available for further contact by AAA.

Academic Affairs Procedure:

AAA Committee

  • Reviews appeal at next scheduled meeting.
  • Gives consideration to all relevant material.
  • May contact anyone relevant to this process or request additional documentation.
  • Takes appropriate action.
  • Sends certified letter to inform the student of final decision.

Passed by IU East Faculty Senate: 12/07/04, Revised 05/04/10, Revised 02/05/19

Top of Page

Grade Replacement Policy (a.k.a. "Grade Repeat Policy")

(formally known as the Extended-X Policy)

Petition for Grade Replacement Form

The purpose of this policy is to allow students who have done poorly in a course to repeat the course and remove the weight of the earlier grade from the student's cumulative grade point average. The IU East Faculty Senate sees this policy as an expansion of the University Faculty Council policy (UFC April 10, 1984 and its EFS amendments – "FX" Policy) by extending the replacement option to include grades of A, B, C, D (including plus/minus), in addition to F.


A student may retake any undergraduate course and petition for exclusion of the previously earned grade from the cumulative GPA after repeating the course. A student may apply this grade replacement option on an unlimited number of credit hours (for no more than five courses totaling no more than 15 credit hours - effective Fall 2018). This option may be exercised no more than two times for each course. Please note that "F" grades that have been assigned as the result of academic misconduct (i.e. plagiarism) may be "repeated for credit" but may NOT be "replaced" with an "FX" by this or any other grade replacement policy.

Extension of FX Policy

This policy replaces the use of the FX policy (UFC Action April 10, 1984, and the IU East amended policies of March 2, 2004 and April 7, 2015). Previously granted FX and extended-X grades will be honored under this policy.

Effective Date

This policy is effective with the 2018-2019 school year (i.e., Fall 2018). Students may replace previously earned undergraduate grades by completing a Petition For Grade Replacement form for each grade they wish to replace. The number of credit hours and courses previously used for grade replacement will be applied to limits under this policy.

Grades and courses for which this option is available

Grade replacement under this policy is only available for undergraduate courses with fixed credit. Grades in courses with variable topic may not be replaced unless the topics, rigor, expected competencies, and work-assignments in both courses are the same. The determination of equivalency is made by the faculty. Under this policy, any grade may be replaced by the grade in the retaken course. A grade of "W", "I", or "NC" cannot be used to replace another grade.

Academic Record

This policy only excludes certain grades from the calculation of the grade point average. All grades will remain part of the student's academic record; a notation on the transcript will indicate if a grade is not included in the GPA calculation. The provisions apply to undergraduate courses taken by students pursuing an undergraduate degree only. If a degree has been awarded, in no case may a grade be replaced for a course taken prior to the award of that degree. Schools and programs with selective admissions criteria may use a GPA calculation that does not honor the grade replacement under this policy in determining admissibility, academic standards, honors and graduation criteria.


Petition for Grade Replacement Form
Students may petition for grade replacement under this policy at any time after repeating the course. The petition is made on a course-by-course basis. Once a grade replacement has been entered in a student's academic record, it may not be rescinded. The registrar's office will – in consultation with the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Admissions and Academic Affairs Committee – establish a procedure consistent with this policy.

Grades Earned at other IU campuses

Students who take a course at another IU campus and subsequently repeat that course at IU East may petition for grade replacement under this policy. However, replacement of grades earned at another IU campus is subject to the policies and procedures at that campus. The registrar at IU East shall forward petitions for grade replacement to the appropriate registrar and shall act as a liaison between the divisions and faculty who are responsible for evaluating the replacement.

Honoring grade replacement requests from other IU campuses

IU East joins all other IU campuses in honoring the principle that the grade policies on the degree granting campus are applicable for each student. Hence, if an IU East student transfers to another campus with different grade replacement policies, IU East will honor requests from that campus, on behalf of the student, to replace an IU East grade that may not be replaceable under this policy. If the student were to return to IU East for graduation, however, that grade exclusion may not apply. In such a case, the student may petition to the degree-granting division to honor the IU sister-campus's grade replacement policy.

Grades earned outside the IU system

Grades earned outside the IU system cannot be used to replace grades earned at IU East.

Grade replacement with courses using different course numbers

A student may petition to replace a grade in one course with the grade earned in another course, provided that the two courses are equivalent. The determination of equivalency of the two courses is made by the appropriate Dean and the faculty of the subject area. In order to establish equivalency, the faculty must determine that topics, rigor, expected competencies, and work-assignments in both courses are equivalent. A comparison of course descriptions alone is not adequate to establish equivalency. Students may not petition for grade replacement on the basis of having proved competency by successfully completing a subsequent course, through life experience, or through testing. [Explanation: This provision is meant to be used in cases where a course number has been changed, or where the two different course numbers are used for essentially the same course.]

Passed: IU East Faculty Senate 04/07/15.  Amended by EFS 04/03/2018.

Top of Page


Grade Forgiveness Policy (a.k.a. "Fresh Start")

(sometimes referred to as "Academic Bankruptcy")

Petition for Grade Forgiveness Form

IU East Petitioning Guidelines for Grade Forgiveness

  1. Meet with your advisor to review the IU East grade forgiveness policy and your options.
  2. If eligible, complete the Petition for Grade Forgiveness with your academic advisor’s assistance.
  3. Your academic advisor will forward your petition to Student Records (WZ116) for final processing.
  4. The Office of Student Records will notify you when/if forgiveness is applied to your academic record.


Criteria: Students who are enrolled in an IU East undergraduate degree program (BUSE, EDUC, HSS, NSM, NURS) may petition for grade forgiveness if all of the following conditions are met:

  • Student has experienced a gap in enrollment of at least two (2) calendar years.  THIS IS NEW!  Prior to Fall 2019, the gap of enrollment must have been four (4) calendar years. Effective Fall 2019, the required gap of enrollment will be reduced to two (2) calendar years.
  • Student has since completed at least 12 credit hours of graded course work, at IU East, and has passed all courses with a GPA of at least 2.0.
  • Student has passed all IU East courses with an average GPA of at least 2.0 in the current enrollment period.
  • The student is pursuing their first baccalaureate degree. 

This grade forgiveness policy applies to all IU East undergraduate degree programs. Programs in system-wide schools (e.g., SWK) are excluded, as are baccalaureate degree programs offered from other institutions (e.g., Purdue).

Scope of Grade Forgiveness
Grade forgiveness is only available for courses completed at Indiana University.  Forgiveness is not available to students in all schools, such that a student granted forgiveness in one academic unit may or may not receive forgiveness if transferring to another academic unit.

Schools are not required to adopt the general campus policy. Schools retain the right to grant, qualify, or refuse grade forgiveness to their degree candidates. Schools may specify GPA requirements for degree conferral, including specifying a minimum cumulative GPA that may exclude grades forgiven under the general campus policy. 

Schools retain the right to consider all records of student performance in determining admission to the School, granting of honors, and other matters.

Use of Grade Forgiveness
Grade forgiveness may be invoked only once. Once granted, it cannot be revoked. Grade forgiveness will remove forgiven coursework from consideration in IU East degree programs, which permit this policy.

Students should utilize “grade forgiveness” for courses completed before re-enrollment and use “grade replacement” for courses completed after re-enrollment.

Students must obtain their advisor’s approval to exercise grade forgiveness, and student should exercise the option before applying for graduation. Schools may require additional approvals and conditions. 

Effect of Grade Forgiveness
Once grade forgiveness has been granted, the student starts with a recalculated program GPA with no hours and no points from the forgiven classes contributing to that GPA.

Grade forgiveness removes all academic (but not disciplinary) consequences from coursework.

A student’s transcript should accurately reflect all of the student’s academic work. Transcripts of students who exercised grade forgiveness will reflect all grades. A statement on the transcript will explain which grades have been excluded from the program GPA calculation.

Effective Date
Students may apply for grade forgiveness as early as Summer 2019. First effective term is Fall 2019.

Passed Faculty Senate ­ April 3, 2018

Top of Page