IU East Job Shadowing Program
What is Job Shadowing?
Job shadowing is a professional “real world” experience where a student may spend a short period of time with an employer to learn more about the profession and day to day work of the employer. It provides students with insightful knowledge about what a job within that specific setting entails. Job shadowing may help in determining specific career goals. Each experience may vary depending on the site or occupation, but all students will engage in/observe a typical day. This will provide an opportunity to learn from, explore possibilities, and network with those in the field.
What are the requirements?
- You must be enrolled in courses at Indiana University East or Purdue Polytechnic Institute
- You must commit to at least 4-6 hours
- Willingness to explore a variety of career options and to identify how it reflects on a career path
- Ability to work with persons of different educational, economic, cultural, religious, and racial backgrounds
Process for Students
- Before your appointment, do research on where or what type of occupation you are interested in shadowing.
- Schedule a job shadowing appointment with the Career Services staff where the student will conduct an application and discuss placement options.
- The Career Services staff will then contact placement sites. Once placed, the student will be responsible for completing the Participation Agreement, reviewing business etiquette guide, dress code, confidentiality document, and sign a contract.
- Upon completion of the experience, student must meet with Career Services staff for reflection.
During the Job Shadowing experience
- Follow the policies and procedures of the company where shadowing
- Be inquisitive and learn as much as possible on site
- Present a professional appearance and conform to your placement sites dress code
- Always arrive on time
- Complete the suggested Occupational Interview Questionnaire
After the Shadowing experience.
- After the job shadowing experience you will complete an assessment
- We also encourage you to send a thank you note to your job shadowing site within 24 hours after you have completed your last day of shadowing