Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®
Hey Guys! Step It Up! 👠
Join us for the 5th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event hosted by Indiana University East and Earlham College. This event continues to grow in popularity for the IU East, Earlham, and Richmond communities.
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes asks men to literally walk one mile wearing women’s high-heeled shoes. Participants symbolically put themselves in the place of women for the purpose of raising awareness about the effects of sexualized violence in our community. At IU East and Earlham College, we recognize that these forms of violence do not discriminate. As such, all genders are encouraged to walk to serve as allies for ALL victims.
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is a fundraising and public awareness campaign. Funds raised during our Walks go directly to A Better Way for Genesis whose mission it is to help to provide services and programs for survivors who have chosen to purse a healthier, safer, and more secure life.
We are excited to announce that this year’s event will resume in person!
How Do I Participate?
- To create a fundraising page, visit: Give Lively - A Better Way for Genesis.
- Determine if you are walking with a team or as an individual.
- Click the "I Want To Fundraise For This" button!
- TEAM LEADERS: Teams should select a Team Leader who will create their team on the Give Lively site. Team Leaders can create a team and team’s fundraising page by selecting the Create a Team button. After a Team Leader creates a team, they should be sure to check their email to confirm their team's fundraiser for this event!
- TEAM MEMBERS: To join a team, select the “Join A Team” button. Find the team you wish to join and select “Join Team” and create an account. After you create an account, be sure to check your email to confirm your fundraiser for this event!
- INDIVIDUALS: For those inspired to fundraise but not participate on a team can create an individual fundraising page by selecting the “Create My Own Page” button. Create an account and be sure to check your email to confirm your fundraiser for this event!
- Donate: If you do not have a team or individual to support for this fundraiser but would still like to donate to A Better Way for Genesis, you can make your donations by selecting an amount at the top right of the Give Lively – A Better Way for Genesis main page.
- RAIN LOCATION: In the event of inclement weather, the Walk will be moved to the Earlham College Athletics and Wellness Center. An announcement for this location change will be made on the IU East, Earlham College, and A Better Way for Genesis social media sites.
Awards will be presented following the Walk for the following categories:
- Top Community Member Fundraiser
- Top Business Fundraiser
- Top Department Fundraiser – IU East vs. Earlham College
- Best Heels - Award goes to the participant with the best heels AND overall presentation.
- Fastest Walker
The Indiana University East/Earlham College Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event will benefit A Better Way for Genesis. The mission-driven work of A Better Way for Genesis is to reduce domestic abuse, sexual assault, and suicide in our community through shelter services, crisis intervention and prevention initiatives. A Better Way for Genesis services victims and secondary victims in Wayne, Fayette, Union, Delaware, Jay, Blackford, Randolph, and Henry. Counties in Indiana. A range of services are offered to empower clients to get through a time of crisis in a safe, healthy, and clean environment. Services offered include shelter, victim advocacy, counseling, and community outreach.
History of Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Events
Since 2001, communities across the world have been holding annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes events to support victims of domestic and sexual violence. A Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event is a playful opportunity for individuals to raise awareness in their community about the serious causes, effects, and remediations to sexualized violence against women. During this one-mile walk, many men (and women) choose to walk the route wearing high-heeled shoes to demonstrate their commitment to the cause of ending interpersonal violence, particularly against women. Learn more about the Walk at walkamileinhershoes.org.
Join the fun!
Spread the word with #WalkAMileWC
Thanks to Indiana University East for having us out today for Walk a Mile in Her Shoes ®! #WalkAMileWC #WalkAMileInHerShoesPosted by KICKS 96 on Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Have I mentioned I love my job?!? Men across campus today strutted their stuff in high heels to start a discussion on...Posted by Roxie Deer on Tuesday, October 24, 2017
The "Walk a Mile in Her Shoes" event at IU East today was a fun way to raise awareness of sexualized violence toward women. #WalkAMileWC http://ow.ly/5WvY30g6F5GPosted by WayNet.org - Info for Richmond & Wayne County, Indiana on Tuesday, October 24, 2017