B.A. Communication Studies (120 cr)
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Recommended General Education Coursework:
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with no more than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
World Languages & Cultures (0-14 cr)
This requirement may be met in one of the following ways:
- Completing Intermediate II (fourth semester) of a non-English language
- Completing a 300-400 level course in a non-English language, or an approved study abroad course that meets this language requirement.
- Receiving credit for non-English language courses via placement exam for Intermediate II (fourth semester).
You must complete a total of 42 credit hours in Communication Studies: Communication and Culture (CMCL), Speech (SPCH), Journalism (JOUR) or Telecommunication (TEL) areas. A minimum of 36 credit hours must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major.
Note: The information below reflects requirements as of April 2016. Students who entered the program prior to April 2016 should review the IU East catalog matching their year of entry.
Major Core (18 cr)
Specialized Core (9 cr)
Choose one from each area.
Media (3 cr)
(Inter)Cultural Communication (3 cr)
- CMCL-C427 Cross-Cultural Communication
- CMCL-C440 Organizational Communication
- CMCL-C450 Gender and Communication
Relational Communication (3 cr)
Major Electives (15 cr)
Choose any five courses from offerings in CMCL, SPCH, JOUR or TEL, not yet completed. Students should discuss their career goals with their advisor when selecting these courses. New courses may be added to this list at any time; consult with your advisor for details.
- Offerings may include :
- CMCL-C225 Discussion & Decision Making
- CMCL-C334 Current Topics in Communication
- JOUR-J210 Visual Communication
- JOUR-J219 Intro to Public Relations
- JOUR-J290 Internship in Journalism
- SPCH-S333 Public Relations
- TEL-T206 Intro to Design and Production
- TEL-T283 Intro to Television Production
- TEL-T498 Projects in Telecommunication
If you major in communication studies at IU East, you may complete an internship with an organization in cooperation with the communication faculty as one of your major electives.
Choose additional courses to reach 120 credit hours total.
A grade of C (2.0) or above is necessary in all English composition courses required for a degree. Students must complete ENG-W131 or the equivalent within the first 25 credit hours for which they are enrolled. Students must also complete a second writing course with a C (2.0) or above within the first 50 credit hours for which they are enrolled. This course should prepare students for writing research papers and include at least one method of widely accepted documentation and instruct students in library research skills. All students must complete a culminating writing experience in their major.
General Grade Requirement
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 is required in major core and major elective courses.
A passing grade is required in all other courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
Required Credit Hours
For a bachelor degree a minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East. At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.