Bachelor of Science in Informatics
The BS in Informatics degree requires a minimum of 120 credit hours. A minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C” or above) is required in all English composition courses, statistics, and informatics courses.
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
The following required courses for the degree:
Remaining General Education Requirements can be fulfilled as you and your advisor see fit.
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
- UCOL-U 101 First Year Seminar (2 cr) or HON-H 100 Freshman Honors Seminar (3 cr)
- Required for students who have never attended college as well as students transferring in less than 12 credit hours.
Informatics Core Courses Required for the Degree (42 cr)
- MATH-M 118 Finite Mathematics
- ECON-E 270 Introduction to Statistical Theory in Economics and Business
- INFO-I 101 Introduction to Informatics (4 cr)
- INFO-I 202 Social Informatics
- INFO-I 210 Information Infrastructure I (4 cr)
- INFO-I 211 Information Infrastructure II (4 cr)
- INFO-I 300 Human Computer Interaction
- INFO-I 308 Information Representation
- IIM-I 300 Foundations and Principles of Integrated Information Management
- BUS-S 310 Systems Analysis and Project Management
- BUS-P 330 Project Management
Informatics capstone (6 cr) consisting of:
- INFO-I 491 Capstone Project Internship
Cognate, Minor, or Second Major
In addition to completing the core curriculum in informatics, students are required to complete either a Cognate (an area of specialization), a Minor, or a second Major.
Business Cognate (15 cr)
- BUS-A 201 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- BUS-W 100 Introduction to Business Administration
- ECON-E 103 Introduction to Microeconomics or ECON-E 104 Introduction to Macroeconomics
- Choose any two 300 or 400 level business courses, with advisor approval
Health Cognate (16 cr)
- INFO-I 241 Health Informatics
- NURS-A 111 Nursing and Medical Terminology (1 cr)
- NURS-B 304 Professional Nursing Seminar I: Health Policy*
- NURS-B 404 Professional Nursing Seminar II: Informatics*
- NURS-K 352 Women's Health
- NURS-S 474 Applied Healthcare Ethics*
*Can only be taken face-to-face on the Richmond campus
Custom Designed Cognate (15 cr minimum)
- A custom cognate can be designed in conjunction with your academic advisor to provide the opportunity to apply information technology to a new domain or to take a more interdisciplinary approach to address a particular problem or issue. The custom cognate can be encompassed in a single discipline or span multiple disciplines.
- Any minor (except the Informatics Minor) offered by IU East can be used to satisfy this requirement. IU East currently offers more than 30 minors.
- Students who double major may use the second major to satisfy this requirement.
Students must complete at least 120 credit hours to graduate. Elective courses are taken to reach the 120 credit hour requirement. Any course not specifically required can be taken as an elective.