Staff Council Bylaws
Approved Revisions 11-2017
The purpose of the Staff Council at Indiana University East at Richmond shall be to represent the support staff more fully in the communication processes and the decision‐making of the University and
- To increase the sense of identity, recognition and worth of each staff member in their relationship to the University,
- To identify concerns relating to staff and to seek their solutions,
- To provide a channel of communication for staff with administration and faculty,
- To promote the development and adoption of policies, which will aid in retaining highly qualified personnel,
- To integrate the staff into existing University affairs,
- To establish and promote University‐wide activities, workshops, and seminars,
- To create a stronger bond within the support staff.
II. Definition of Non-Academic Staff
For the purpose of the Staff Council organization, the term, “support staff” shall mean Clerical, Technical, and Service Maintenance employees who are not elsewhere represented. These employees’ whose functional classifications are: CL, TE, and SM. (By action of the Board of Trustees (July, 1981). The Office of the President has the authority to designate specific staff positions as ineligible for representation of the Staff Council.)
The Staff Council shall be drawn from the wide range of functional classifications.
Eligibility for Membership
All appointed non‐academic staff working 20 hours or more per week on the campus, either full‐time or part‐time, shall be eligible for membership in the Staff Council. This shall include Purdue Statewide Technology appointed employees as non‐voting members.
The Staff Council shall biannually elect from its membership persons to fill offices to serve for two fiscal years or until their respective successors have been elected and seated. The offices shall be known as the Executive Board (consisting of a President of Staff Council, and ideally one (1) representative from each campus building including Area 9 and a secretary and/or treasurer or any combination thereof.)
- Eligibility for Office (who may vote):
All members of the Staff Council are eligible for election to the offices stated in Section II, and the Staff Council members may nominate or cast ballots in the election of any officer of the Staff Council.
- Election of Officers (when held):
Elections shall be conducted at the June meeting of the Staff Council. Nominations shall be received from the floor prior to the June meeting and a slate shall be presented by the nominating committee; election of officers shall be by secret ballot.
- Duties of the President of Staff Council:
- To preside at all meetings of the Staff Council and to maintain order and decorum according to Roberts Rules of Order.
- To determine, in consultation with the secretary and/or treasurer and the Executive Board of the Staff Council, the agenda for all meetings of the Staff Council.
- To issue all correspondence for both regular and special meetings.
- To appoint ad hoc committees of the Staff Council.
- To either serve or appoint an Executive Board representative as an ex‐officio member of all standing committees.
- To serve as President of Staff Council for two fiscal years.
- Duties of the Executive Board:
- To preside at meetings of the staff Council in the absence of the President.
- To become President of Staff Council in the event a vacancy occurs in the office of the President and shall act as an interim President until such time as a new President is elected.
- Shall act on behalf of the President of Staff Council upon request.
- In the absence of the secretary and/or treasurer shall act as a recording secretary.
- To serve as ex‐officio member of all standing committees if appointed by the President of Staff Council.
- Assist the President of Staff Council in determining the agenda for meetings of the Staff Council.
- Represent Staff Council at Faculty Senate and other University meetings as deemed necessary by the Executive Board.
- Duties of the Secretary:
- To keep minutes of regular and special meetings of the Staff Council and send an electronic copy to all non‐academic staff.
- To keep a record of each members attendance at meetings of the Staff Council.
- Assist the President of Staff Council in determining agenda items for meetings.
- To schedule meeting places for the Staff Council.
- Duties of the Treasurer:
- The treasurer shall be responsible for accounting for, safeguarding, and the reporting of all monies of the Staff Council.
- The treasurer shall record minutes in absence of the secretary.
- Term of Office:
The term of office shall be for two fiscal years for all officers and Executive Board members.
A vacancy is created when the officer is no longer a member of the Staff Council, or requests to be relieved of duties. All vacancies shall be filled by election at the next meeting of the Staff Council.
V. Standing Committees
Members and the chairperson of the standing committees shall be selected by the President of Staff Council. Committee assignments shall be reviewed and updated annually.
Member vacancies shall be appointed by the President of Staff Council.
- Standing Committees:
- Bylaws Committee:
The Bylaws Committee shall consist of no less than three support staff members. This committee shall have the responsibility of reviewing the bylaws to make recommendations to the Staff Council as changes and/or additions/deletions are needed.
- Ways and Means Committee:
The Ways and Means Committee shall consist of no less than three support staff members. This committee shall have the responsibility of selecting and organizing the fund‐raisers and Community Outreach projects.
- Scholarship Committee:
The Scholarship Committee shall consist of no less than three support staff members. This committee shall have the responsibility of advertising and selecting recipients for the Staff Council Endowment Scholarship Award and Staff Council Employee Scholarship Award.
- Staff Training Committee:
The Staff Training Committee shall consist of no less than three support staff members. This committee shall have the responsibility of selecting informative presentations that will enrich and improve our positions as staff members.
- IU East Staff Council Employee of the Year Award
- Other Standing Committees: Other standing committees may be selected as deemed necessary.
A simple majority of total Council members shall constitute a quorum for conducting meetings. All meetings shall be open, and conducted under the latest edition of Roberts Rules of Order. Any conflict between those rules and the bylaws shall be resolved in favor of these bylaws.
- Regularly Scheduled Meetings:
The Staff Council shall have regularly scheduled meetings, and in accordance with Trustee Policy Revision of 7/1/81, members may be granted time off from the University job duties without loss of pay up to two (2) hours in any month. The meetings shall proceed according to the agenda.
Any employee may present an item to be considered for the agenda of regularly scheduled meetings. These items should be submitted to an office of the Staff Council.
Voting on all matters other than election of officers of the Staff Council shall be by voice unless a secret ballot is requested.
Motions may be proposed at any time and require a simple majority vote of those present. Motions shall follow the procedures of Roberts Rules of Order.
VII. Amendments to Bylaws
These bylaws may be amended at any regularly scheduled meeting of the support staff by a two‐thirds vote, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing at a previous meeting and has been approved by the Chancellor of Indiana University East, for concurrence with Trustee Policy.
If Circumstances warrant deactivating Staff Council as an official body of representatives of the staff, a special meeting shall be held of Staff Council members consisting of the current officers and committee chairpersons. This group shall be hereafter referred to as the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall discuss and vote on this issue. A majority vote of the Executive Board shall deem the Staff Council inactive. In this event, any decision regarding the funds in the Staff Council treasury shall be dealt with by the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall meet quarterly to determine whether or not Staff Council should be reactivated. If the Executive Board feels there has been sufficient interest demonstrated to reactivate Staff Council, they shall call for a vote. A majority vote of the Executive Board is required to reactivate Staff Council as a recognized body (See Indiana University Board of Trustees Authoritative Action Establishing the Staff Council, paragraphs II and III.).