School of Business & Economics

Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to your quick questions here. If you have more in-depth questions please make an appointment with your Academic Advisor

How do I set up a username or passphrase?
Go to One.IU and type “Create My First IU Account” in the search bar. You will be asked to enter your last name, date of birth, and your Student ID and then you will be led through the process of setting up your username and passphrase.
Why do I need to check my IU email account?
ALL official communication is sent to your IU email account. There is no system to allow you to use a non-IU email account for communicating with IU. It’s therefore imperative you check your IU email account often. You can set up your IU email to your personal email account by going to the IU Knowledge Base and search using the phrase, “Forwarding my email”.
How do I look up my student ID?
Go to the online University ID Lookup system.
Who is my advisor?
Your advisor’s name and contact information should be in your Student Center. Look for the blue box in the lower right corner labeled "Advisor”. If you click "details" you can access your advisor's email address. If the information directs you to contact your Program Office, go to the Academic Advisors page.
How do I set up an advising appointment?
You can schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor using the Online Student Appointment scheduler in One.IU. If your Academic Advisor is not listed in the online student appointment scheduler, please use the number or email provided in Student Center "Advisor" box to contact your advisor.
Where can I find course descriptions?
There are several ways to find course descriptions. You can click on the course title link to see a course description, when the course is offered, and get a sample syllabi. You can use the Course menu option on the School of Business and Economics web pages. Or you can refer to the IU East Course Catalog.
What is an advising hold?
It is important that you move through your education in a purposeful and efficient way. To insure this happens, we require each student to meet with an academic advisor every semester, either by phone, email, or in person, before they register for classes. After you have met with your academic advisor they will reset your advising hold so you can register for the next semester.
What is an academic probation hold?
If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 the Dean of Students will place you on academic probation. When this happens, you are put on notice that if you don’t improve your GPA you will be dismissed from the University. Visit the Academic Standards page to learn more about Academic Probation.
When can I register?
Check the Academic Calendar each semester for registration dates. You can also see the first date you can enroll in your Student Center. Login to One.IU and go to your Student Center. On the right side of the screen under Enrollment Dates you should see the date when you can enter the registration system to enroll. Remember, you'll need to meet with your advisor, to lift the Advising Hold, before the system will allow you to complete the registration process.
How do I register?
Your advisor can help you select courses and sections, but you must register yourself. Login to One.IU and go to Student Center. See the Student Registration Instructions.
I tried to register but it says I have a hold on my record. What do I do?
Determine what hold is blocking you from registration. Login to One.IU and select your Student Center. If you do not see your Student Center on the home screen search "Student Center" in the search bar at the top of the page. Once in your Student Center look in the "Holds" box in the upper right corner. Click on Details for each hold item. The hold item details will tell you what you need to do to remove the hold. One of the common holds is Citizenship Verification. To resolve this hold, in One.IU search "Citizenship Verification". Select start and follow the instructions.
What if the course says I need permission to enroll?
Read the Class Notes to see who you need to contact for permission. It is typically the instructor for the course. Email the person indicated and ask to be added to the Permission List. Make sure to specify the Class Number (Section) as well as the Course Number as some courses have multiple sections. Copy your advisor on the email and ask the person to “Reply All” when giving you permission to take the course. Your advisor will receive a copy of the email giving you permission and add you to the Permission List. If you have any problems contact your advisor.
I lost my schedule. Where can I get another copy?
On One.IU, click on "Student Center" then, "Class Schedule Details".
How do I drop a class?

Before dropping a class, the best practice is to meet with an academic advisor and/or a financial aid counselor to determine the consequences of dropping the class. Once you are sure you should drop the class there are two methods to do so. The method you use will depend on when you are drop the class.

Dropping within the first week of classes:
If you are dropping after the first week of classes, go to One.IU, click on "Student Center", click on the "Register,Drop/Add" link and follow the instructions.

Dropping within the first week of classes:
After the first week of classes, go to One.IU, search for the "Late Drop/Add" and follow the instructions.

In order to receive a W (and avoid getting an automatic F), you must drop before the official Last Day to Withdraw date. Check the Academic Calendar for the date. If it is after the last day to withdraw contact your academic advisor as they may be able to help you.

Where can I get a copy of my transcript?
You can get a copy of your unofficial transcript on One.IU, type "Unofficial Transcript" in the search box at the top. If you need to have a copy of your official transcript, use the online transcript request website.
Who can I contact if I have questions about Canvas?
The Center for Teaching & Learning is able to help students with Canvas at 765-973-8561 Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm Eastern Time.
Who can I contact if I have technical problems with my computer?
The IUE IT Help Desk may be able to help you diagnose and fix problems with your computer. The Information Technology Help Desk is located in Hayes Hall Room 169. The Help Desk hours are Monday-Thursday 8am-7pm and Friday 8am-5pm. Telephone support is available 24/7. You may reach the Help Desk by telephone at 765-973-8375 or by email at In order to help the IT staff better serve your needs, the following information is required when making an IT support request:
  • Your full name
  • Your network ID
  • Your phone number
  • A description of your problem
How do I complete foreign language placement testing?
For information on completing placement testing for Spanish and French at IU East. Go to the foreign language placement testing page.

Request Information

Thank you so much for your interest in IU East! Please feel free to contact us with any questions at or (765) 973-8208.
Available Contact Fields
Ethnicity (check all that apply)
Available Opportunity Fields
Available Campaign Member Fields
Available Campaign Fields
Required Opportunity Fields (can leave hidden but must stay on the form)
Required Campaign Member Fields (keep hidden but need to keep on form)
Required Campaign Fields (may keep hidden but need to keep on form)

Need assistance with this form?