41st Annual Whitewater Valley Art Competition
Originating in 1978, the Whitewater Competition has a history of “open judging”, allowing the public to be present when the exhibit entries are accepted or declined for the exhibit. In this spirit, projected, digital images of entered works will reviewed by a panel of three jurors during a four hour session. Intervals in the judging will be scheduled for the public to interact with the panel with regard to rationale related to acceptance or declination of works. Jurors will select 50-55 works for the exhibit. All art submissions will be juried electronically.
$5000 total award money
Entry DeadlineFriday, September 13th
- Artists must be 18 years or older and reside in Indiana or adjacent states of Ohio, Kentucky, or Michigan. All work must be original by the submitting artist and cannot have been exhibited in previous Whitewater Valley Art Competitions.
Registration Fee: $30 for up to 3 entries.
Limit three images per entry
Submission process via www.callforentry.org
- Both 2-D and 3-D artwork will be considered. Examples of acceptable works include paintings, drawings, printmaking, digital artworks, photographs, ceramics, jewelry, sculpture, textiles, and mixed media art pieces.
- 2-D works must be ready to hang with wire or appropriate hardware. 3-D works must be stable. Weight limit is 30 lbs. and size must not exceed 48” in any direction.
- Works on paper must be protected under Plexiglas or similar. No traditional glass allowed on any 2-D works larger than 12” in any direction.
- If artwork is available for purchase, the amount must be included in the submission. NFS pieces must include an insurance amount which is considered reasonable and in correlation with past sales and/or professional appraisals.
- By submitting work to be considered, artists grant permission to the IU East Art Gallery to reproduce accepted artwork for promotional uses in both printed and electronic forms.
- All works must be shipped in reusable containers with a return-shipping label via UPS or FEDEX (No USPS). No packing peanuts please. Artists are responsible for all shipping costs. Artists choosing to hand-deliver works must do so by 5pm, October 4, 2019. Works can be delivered to Tom Thomas Gallery located in Whitewater Hall on the IU East campus.
- The gallery reserves the right to not display works if they are not presented in the format specified or if the physical work vastly differs from the submitted image.
- September 13, 11:59pm: Deadline to submit artwork
- We cannot accept cash or entry fees paid through CallforEntry.org. Entry fees can be paid by calling the IU East campus Bursar's Office at (765) 973-8345 Monday through Friday between 9am-11am or 1pm-4pm, and specify the "Whitewater Valley Art Competition". Entry fees can also be paid by personal check, cashier's check, or money order and sent to the following address:
c/o Carrie Longley, Art Director
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374
The utmost care will be taken in handling artwork(s) during the exhibition, and the works will be insured for the duration of the exhibition, from delivery to shipping back to artist. However, should an occasion arise in which an insurance claim must be made, any claim above $300 will require records of past sales and / or a third party professional appraisal. IU East is not liable for any damages to works incurred during shipping.
All questions should be directed toward Art Director Carrie Longley at email@example.com.