Sustainability studies is quickly becoming one of the most important fields as the global population faces increasingly pressing environmental challenges. As a student in the BA in Sustainability Studies, you study climate, energy, geography, history, sociology, and economics to understand the complex environmental problems of today. You learn modern conservation methods and techniques and adopt a transformative mindset so that you can become an effective agent of change.
When you complete the program, you will be able to:
- Identify fundamental environmental, social, and economic concepts associated with sustainability.
- Synthesize historical and contemporary and scientific and ethical arguments to develop a systems approach to sustainable practices.
- Use skills of persuasion, audience analysis, and aesthetic expression to advance rhetoric and argument, media communications, public relations, and political/community organizing related to sustainability.
- Apply quantitative and qualitative tools and metrics to design innovative sustainable practices and assess their impact.
- Demonstrate professional skills of leadership and collaboration through experiential learning (civic engagement, service learning, research, or internship) in order to apply sustainable solutions in real-life settings.
Your online BA in Sustainability Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- Sustainability policy consultant
- Environmental advocate
- Environmental engineer
- Natural sciences manager
- Environmental specialist
- Sustainability program coordinator
- Energy manager
- Ecotourism guide
- Energy auditor
This program is part of the School of Natural Science & Mathematics.
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU East, IU Kokomo, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.