- Reporting: The chairperson of the committee shall submit a report annually to the Faculty Senate and to the Chancellor on the status of campus intercollegiate athletics. All recommendations and reports of the committee must be supported by a majority vote of the committee. In case of a disagreement, a minority may submit a dissenting opinion.
- Membership: The Campus Athletics Committee shall consist of 13 members, who are appointed by the Chancellor as specified below. The following constituents are represented on the committee.
- Five (5) faculty members. Faculty members shall be elected by the Faculty Senate in the Spring Semester for a two-year term, and shall begin their term with the beginning of the Fall semester. Individual members may be re-elected from term to term. At least one of the faculty members must be tenured. Vacancies among the faculty representation may arise when a faculty member resigns, is on leave, or becomes otherwise unavailable. Vacancies among the faculty representation on the committee must be filled by electing a new faculty member, who will serve the remainder of the vacant term. The Faculty Senate President, in consultation with the Faculty Senate Agenda Committee and nominating committee, may make interim appointments until a vacancy has been filled with a permanent member. Faculty members have voting rights.
- The Campus Athletics Director, ex officio.
- Two (2) student-athletes that are the highest ranking male and female members of the SAAC Executive Board. Student-athlete members have voting rights.
- One (1) non-athlete student, nominated by the Dean of Students. The term of the student representative is one year, beginning in the fall semester. Re-appointments to other terms are possible. The Dean of Students may fill vacancies on the student representation by appointing another qualified student for the remainder of the term. The non-athlete student has voting rights.
- The Campus Registrar, or designee, ex officio. The Campus Registrar, or designee, serves as the Athletics Compliance Administrator.
- University College Academic Success Coach for Student-Athletes, ex officio.
- Senior Women’s Athletics Administrator, ex officio.
- Chair. The chair of the committee shall be a faculty member. It is preferable that the chair of the committee is tenured and has previously served on the committee.
- Faculty Athletics Representative: The Campus Athletics Committee may recommend a faculty member of the committee to serve as the Faculty Athletics Representative for the NAIA. The authority rests with the Chancellor to appoint the Faculty Athletics Representative, in accordance with NAIA policy.
- Athletics Compliance Administrator: The Registrar, or designee, may serve as athletics compliance administrator, or the Athletic Department may hire in accordance with IU policy. This person shall work in cooperation with the faculty athletics representative and athletics director to foster an environment of education and adherence to all institution, conference and NAIA regulations.
- Quorum: To guarantee faculty control of athletics, committee action may not be taken unless the majority of voting committee members present, in person or by proxy, are faculty members.
- Relationships: The Campus Athletics Committee should maintain strong liaison relationships with the Faculty Senate committee on Admissions and Academic Affairs.
B. Functions of the Campus Athletics Committee:
The Campus Athletics Committee creates academic policies regarding athletics, recommends policies regarding athletics and supervises adherence to these policies. The Campus Athletics Committee:
- Serves to foster University community confidence in the intercollegiate athletics program by ensuring that the program is striving to meet the mission and goals for intercollegiate athletics at Indiana University (See Policy on Intercollegiate Athletics, ACA-58, Revised 2/27/2018).
- Studies the athletics program and its relation to academic affairs of the University and campus and recommends to the Faculty Senate and the Administration policies relative to intercollegiate athletics:
- The authority regarding academic aspects of athletic programs, such as academic requirements for eligibility, progress towards degrees, academic concerns regarding recruiting, and policies for award of scholarships rest with the Faculty. The committee recommends these policies to the Faculty Senate, who has ultimate responsibility over these matters.
- Non-academic policies, such as physical facilities use, ticket pricing, and athletic awards are administrative in nature. The committee recommends these policies to the Chancellor, who has ultimate responsibility over these matters.
- Major restructuring of programs, revision of facilities and other significant budgetary matters are both the responsibility of faculty and administration. In this case, the committee recommends to both the Administration and the Faculty Senate, and approval by both bodies is required.
- Monitors the program's compliance with policies relating to admissions, the academic performance and progress of student athletes toward graduation, and the integrity of the course of study of student athletes, seeking appropriate review of cases in which it appears that there has been abuse of academic integrity in order to promote athletics programs.
- Participates in the development of and approves general athletics policies related to academic matters, including academic eligibility policy, academic concerns relating to recruiting, missed class time policy, student drug use policy, and team competition and practice schedules within the scope of athletics conference and association rules.
- Participates in the development and recommends approval of the plans for addition / elimination of sports or programs, plans for significant revision of athletics facilities and physical plant, and policies regarding the use of athletics facilities.
- Serves in an advisory capacity regarding the athletics budget, media contracts, and institutional votes on association and conference legislation.
- Advises in the selection of new coaches and athletic administration searches. At least one faculty member of the Campus Athletics Committee will serve on any coach or administrative athletic search committee.
- Conducts and analyzes the results of the annual student athlete survey to help ensure student athlete satisfaction.
C. Other Provisions
- Effective Date: This policy takes effect immediately upon being enacted by the Faculty Senate.
- Severability: If a provision of this policy is held in violation of state or federal laws and regulations, or contrary to Indiana University policy, or otherwise invalid, only the affected part shall be void. This invalidity shall not affect other provisions of this policy which can be given effect without the invalid provisions. To this end, the provisions of this policy are severable.